Thursday 8 October 2009

Design For Life

Ok, I've been feeling pretty weirded out about this the past couple of days. Philippe Starck has done a reality TV show called Design For Life. I read about this about a year ago & got all excited thinking how great it would be. BUT, now that I have seen it I am disappointed for the following reasons: It was only open to entries from British people. Contestants were selected from 1 random design submission. It is 'uber' reality TV like. The host (TV voice over) is a muppet, I think that they don't really know what they are talking about. The contestants are complete idiots and really suck at what they do. Aside from that, Starck is great, he is frustrated at the contestants in his show, wants to send them all home as they are so bad. He states at the start of the show that he is trying to find out if there is any design talent in the UK. He clearly states that nothing worth mentioning has be produced in years. I think that I know what his outcome is going to be. I am truly appalled that the people on his show can spend 2 weeks working on a brief with unlimited resources, and come up with an A2 sheet of paper with a cringe-worthy concept on it. Seriously - you are presenting to Starck! Don't be so F'n lazy!!! People even argue with him, thinking that he doesn't really know what he is talking about when it comes to product design & their stupid concept should change the world. Hahaha!
Anyway - I have watched 4 out of the 6 episodes, have been left cringing and with an even greater passion for Philippe Starck's contribution.

As you can tell, I am pissed about this show. I hope it is never screened outside of the UK. Very slight shame at Starck for even letting this be aired, though I guess it does make him look pretty good compared to the British. Arrogant French!

If you really feel the need to watch these episodes, let me know & I can upload them for you somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment